Monday, December 14, 2009

Shots

So, last week Tristan got his first round of immunizations. I thought I would be able to handle it because I survived when they had to draw blood from his heel (which, by the way, is harder on mom than on baby). Fortunately, we had a fabulous nurse that was able to give him four separate shots in about 8 seconds. Tristan liked the nurse but hated the shots! I made an effort not to watch the actual needle insert his little thigh, but I knew by the expression on his face what was happening. His bottom lip stuck out so far it broke my heart! It took some time for him to calm down, but he really did great. I'm glad Tristan can't understand me yet because I promised him we would never go back there again...and I lied. Overall, I was prepared, and we survived!

The aftermath is what I was not prepared for. T clearly wasn't feeling well at all, so I gave him some infant Tylenol. I think that helped for a little bit...or at least it made me feel like I was doing something to help the situation. Later that night when I was getting him ready for bed, I removed his adorable Taz band aids and he had little whelps where he had gotten the shots. I'm not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to touch it, but I did...not a good idea. The little guy let out a major scream, and again I am glad he can't remember some things.

The next few days were a little interesting. I felt like I was dealing with a different baby, and the only thing I had to blame it on was the immunizations. T didn't have much of an appetite at all. He was fussy and cranky which is very unusual for him. I gave him a little more Tylenol and put warm towels on his whelps, but frustration was beginning to overtake me. This is the point where it is really nice to have a great hubby who can put things in perspective. Kris' favorite phrase may be, "Honey, he cries because he is a baby..."

The Good News: Today (5 days post shots) I finally feel like T is back to normal. He woke up with a smile on his face, and it hasn't gone away yet! He is eating like a champ and seems very normal! I learned a valuable lesson this past week...Shots Stink!

0 comments:

Post a Comment